I am selectively superstitious. I don’t let my handbag on the floor since someone told me that money goes away. Maybe this is a just a cross between surperstition and security…
A Greek friend introduced me to the idea of having a Greek eyeball or evil eye (Matiasma), behind my entry door. If you don’t know the symbolism behind it, here it goes : it serves the function of warding off the effects of the evil eye. This concept is rooted in ancient Greece, so who am I to take a risk?
Anyways, I don’t follow much more than that, and haven’t ever paid attention on Friday 13th. That has changed after reading the post of Mara Eastern about her Black Friday the 13th, which in turn made me think of mine.
Well, here is what happened. I had just showered after yoga class and was changing clothes when the teacher and I started a chitchat. I placed my shirt on the wrong place, obviously, too close to a burning candle, which I didn’t see. What happened next is that I smelled smoke and so did everyone else. I looked to my left and saw the source of the issue. My shirt was on top of the glass where the candle was. All happened in seconds and no fire started because it was the smoke which burnt the shirt. But my shirt is over. I wasn’t angry. I had just had 1,5 hours of yoga. Namaste!
I headed to an open market as it was on my way to the Cafe where I would meet some friends. The sunlight was too strong and all photos I made while there, are also over. Namaste.
I had a lovely time with friends. When dressing my coat to leave the place, the zipper got stuck. Not up, not down. I left with it open though it was cold. Namaste.
Before going home, I exchanged whatsapp messages with my husband:
‘Me: Not my day today. I burnt my shirt at the Yoga School with a candle. A good one. Expensive one. I made shitty photos at the Albert Kuijpmarkt. I locked the zipper and took a piece of my coat. Still is. I cannot open it.
Me: Maybe I should think positive now.
He: U should.’
I didn’t add a new superstition to my list but thought about what was written in that candle.